Dr.Bruce Semon's Red Pepper Potato Surprise
Take some microwave baked potatoes, combine them with fresh vegetables, basil and eggs, and you get a wonderful stove-top casserole. So delicious you'll barely have leftovers! This is another original recipe from Wisconsin Institute of Nutrition, LLP. If you like this recipe, try our cookbooks, Feast Without Yeast (in Spanish, Un Banquete Sin Levadura) and Extraordinary Foods for the Everyday Kitchen.
- ½ large leek, chopped
- 8 basil leaves (fresh)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 5 med potatoes, baked in microwave while vegetables are cooking
- 3 large eggs
- Expeller-pressed safflower oil
- Heat oil in a pan or 3 qt saucepan, enough to just cover bottom
- Place peppers, leeks, scallions and basil in pan.
- Cover pan.
- Cook on low heat while potatoes are cooking in microwave
- When potatoes are done, peel and slice and add to vegetables.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Place bowl in microwave and cook the eggs on high about 1-1/2 minutes, until set. They do not need to be totally cooked.
- Remove eggs from microwave.
- Put eggs in the potato-vegetable mixture. Chop Up the eggs and mix through.
- Add sea salt to taste.
- Continue cooking until everything is cooked through.
- Serve hot!