Recipe of the Week: Roasted Lamb With Herbed Rice
This recipe is "to die for," according to everyone who's eaten it. Although the recipe looks complicated, it is pretty simple if you take it step by step. The key is getting excellent lamb. Try it! This is a new, original recipe, like all of our recipes. If you like this recipe, see our other recipes in Feast Without Yeast: Four Stages to Better Health(or in Spanish, Un Banquete Sin Levadura), and Extraordinary Foods for the Everyday Kitchen.
- Expeller pressed safflower oil, for sauteeing
- 2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 4 carrots diced
- 2 whole red bell peppers chopped
- 5 stalks celery diced
- 8 scallions chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tbs. fresh dill
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 3c. brown rice
- 6 c. water
- 1 breast of lamb, with our without ribs (about 2.5 to 3 lbs)
- More safflower oil
- More of the same herbs to sprinkle over lamb
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- While the oven is heating prepare the rice:
- Heat about 3 Tbsp. safflower oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the carrots, bell peppers, celery, scallions and garlic in the oil when hot.
- When the carrots are soft, add the herbs and rice.
- Saute a few minutes.
- Add the raw brown rice and saute a few minutes.
- Add the water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for about 50 minutes
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the lamb:
- Lay out the lamb in a large roaster.
- Spray or rub the lamb breast with safflower oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Cover the roaster with foil.
- Place in the oven to roast.
- When rice is cooked, turn off the stove.
- Also remove lamb from oven.
- First deal with the lamb. Remove the lamb from the roaster and place it on a plate, or baking sheet.
- Pour off the the fat that has accumulated in the roaster. Do NOT put down the sink. Pour into a carton to let it cool and then discard it in the trash.
- Put the herbed rice in roaster and spread it around.
- Lay the lamb on top of the rice.
- Sprinkle the lamb with more of the same herbs you used before.
- Cover the entire mixture with roaster lid instead of foil.
- Place in the oven and continue roasting for about 1.5 to 2 hours more.
- You may need to add some water to the rice to prevent sticking.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!